A Private Commission
- Formerly a 'Happy Go Lucky' Silkstone Barbie.
- Rerooted with 'Midnight Black' KatSilk saran hair, which was then cut and styled in the manner of the Maiko.
- Handmade tsunami kanzashi hair ornaments.
- Complete facial repaint with artist-quality acrylics, sealed for protection.
- Kimono is made usign fabrics from vintage Japanese girls' kimono.
- To wear the kimono, Barbie had her waist padded (from what I have read, the preferred shape for Japanese women is a non-curvy form), then the kimono was carefully tied into positionm according to tarditional methods which have been slightly adapted. The kimono is full length and is folded over around the waist (you can make out the fold just below the obi). Due to the complex nature of dressing the kimono, it is not advised to remove it, except for archival purposes. Care should be taken not to pull on the kimono, especially the bottom hem area.
- The obi is made from a piece of top-quality Japanese synthetic brocade. It wraps around twice and is sewn into place in the back. A silk shibori obi-age is tucked into the top of the obi and peeks out alluringly, again as befitting a young woman (as a woman ages, the obi-age is tucked further and further in). A red obi-jime (cord) ties around her obi and sits in the upper third section, as befitting a young woman.
- Golden glotter shoes adorn her feet.